3.17.2012

luck of the irish

Top of the Morning to everyone!

I know this is quite the shocker - two posts within the week - but I am sticking to my guns with the new found resolution gusto.  Might as well roll with the momentum, right?

So today is Saint Patrick's Day.  And for those of you not pretending to be Irish or wearing green, I say: "What the hell is wrong with you?!"  Today is all about the celebration of a culture, and what kind of people would we be if we didn't enjoy it and celebrate with the best of them?

You better believe that I am wearing green, watching St. Patty's Day themed cooking shows, and only eating the green Jolly Rancher's today.  I do love to stick to a theme.

Now, for a little background:

Saint Patrick is the Patron Saint of Ireland.  As a young boy he was captured and taken prisoner (really for no good reason) and while in prison he converted to Christianity.  After some years in captivity, Patrick was released and travelled a bit until he had a dream where God was calling him back to Ireland.  He returned and preached the Gospel and converted the Irish to Christians for the next 40 years.  He died of natural causes on March 17, AD 461.  Legend has it that during a 40 day fast, snakes began attacking Patrick.  He drove all of the snakes out of Ireland, which is why Ireland has no snakes inhabiting it.  Legend also states that Saint Patrick used the ever-popular Irish symbol of the Shamrock to teach the people about the Trinity.

And there you have it!  A little trivia about this festive holiday.  I always like to know a little bit about what I am celebrating - it makes it more fun!

And I do love Saint Patrick's day - something about it makes me smile.

I don't what it is: the time of year - Spring finally coming around the corner; the fact that everyone pretends to be is Irish for one day; getting to pinch someone who isn't wearing green (I get such joy from this.  I am the meanest)...

Whatever it is, it's just so fun.

Even though I totally would, I don't really have to pretend to be Irish today - I do, after all, have a great-grandmother whose maiden name was "O'Lasseter."  If that doesn't yell Irish Blood, I don't know what does!

So today, on the feast of Saint Patrick's Day, let's all celebrate Ireland!  AND be on the lookout for those pesky Leprechauns.  And if you catch one, and get a pot of gold, please remember those less fortunate who aren't fast and lack some serious coordination (aka ME).  It makes it nearly impossible to catch those little trouble makers.

And since I have at least 1/8 of Irish in me, I guess I can leave you with a little bit of luck today, because that is what this holiday is all about: Sharing some luck, some love, and some fun.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

And a little Irish toast:

May the Best day of your Past
Be the Worst day of your Future

No comments:

Post a Comment