8.28.2011

ocd and pumpkin scones

My brother knows how to work the system.  Yesterday, I needed to take his picture for one of my school projects and he would only oblige under one condition: scones.  To be honest, I wasn't too bummed out at having to agree to this trade, because for me, it was totally win-win.  I get homework done and I get some tasty scones.

I love to cook and bake, but me in the kitchen is like a scene from an SNL skit called the Anal Retentive Chef.  It is old-school Saturday Night Live, with Phil Hartman as the host of a cooking show who likes everything to be just right.  As he is about to prepare a pepper steak, he gets caught up in a number of things: the chopped pepper not being in uniform cubes, water on the counter, the stove being dirty. (It is hilarious and if you haven't seen it, here is the video)

Although I am not that intense (my mother might argue), I do sometimes have a problem with being a little bit of a control freak and a perfectionist when it comes to cooking...but I am working hard to accept imperfection as an excuse to make those chocolate chip cookies/scones/dinner rolls again, and keep making them until they are just right.

And now, without further ado, onto the scones!  There was no particular flavor that was requested when the order was put in, and after deciding to try something new instead of the ever-fabulous chocolate chip buttermilk variety, I was excited to expand my horizons.  I LOVE baking with pumpkin - it makes everything stay so wonderful and moist - so I decided a fall spin on some scones would go over well.  So here they are: Pumpkin Spice Scones.  Enjoy!!







Pumpkin Spice Scones

Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker 

For the Scones:
2 cups all-purpose flour
7 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 heaping teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
6 Tablespoons COLD butter (cubed)
½ cup canned pumpkin
3 Tablespoons half-and-half
1 large egg

For the Spice Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
4-5 teaspoons milk
A few dashes of pumpkin pie spice (to taste)

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl. Use a fork to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and no chunks of butter are obvious; set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, half-and-half and egg. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and form the dough into a ball.  Don't work the dough too much - it will make your scones tough!! Separate dough into three sections.  Take one section at a time and pat out onto a lightly floured surface.  Pat the dough into a 1 inch thick circle.  Cut circle in half with a knife/pizza cutter/dough divider and then cut half circles into triangular pieces. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until light brown. Place on wire rack to cool.
4. To make the spice glaze, mix the powdered sugar and milk together until smooth. Add the pumpkin pie spice and combine.  When scones are cool, use a brush to spread glaze over the top of each scone.




No comments:

Post a Comment