8.30.2011

fudge-pops

The Schwann's man rang our doorbell today.  My mom had left for a seminar, my brother had band practice,  and my dad and I were home alone - which just spells trouble.  We saw the butter-yellow truck pull into our cul-de-sac and did a mad dash around the house in desperate search of the Schwann's order book to pick out some things that we didn't need.  We ruffled through piles of mail, newspapers, and random recipes but struck out.  Fortunately for us, we knew we had little use for the frozen chicken nuggets and ready-made lasagna.  We knew exactly where to zone in: Ice Cream.

After a very informative conversation with Mr. Schwann's Delivery Man ("The double chocolate peanut butter is my personal favorite."), we decided on not one, but three (three!!) delectable flavors.  Raspberry Rumble, Mint Chocolate Chip, and a total blast from my past: Fudge-Pops.

Since my birth, I have been fortunate to have a multitude of grandmas, great-grandmas, and great-aunts that have baby-sat, spoiled, and just generally taken care of me when needed.  I have many a memory revolving around my Great Grandma Emma and the refrigerator in her garage.  Every time I would visit, we would make a trip to her fridge.  When I opened the freezer-side door, it was almost like I could hear angels singing - top to bottom, there were popsicles, cartons of ice cream, Klondike bars, and my favorite: Fudge-Pops!  I would stick my head in the freezer, feeling the contrast of the hot summer and cold, frosty air, and come out with a delicious prize.  I couldn't wait to take the five steps to get inside the house and instead ripped open the fudge pop and chowed down.  The melty fudge would drip down my hands and I would finish with a brain freeze and a feeling of pure joy.

Today, waiting for the Delivery Man to walk to the truck and walk back with the fudge-pops in hand, I felt like the 8 year old version of myself again.  As soon as the door shut and the icy box was safe in my dad's hands, we both ran to the kitchen (chanting "Fudge-Pops!!"), ripped into the box and pulled out a pop.  We stood there, grinning like idiots, passing one perfectly frozen pop between us.  We scrunched our faces as the Fudge-Pop made our teeth tingle and giggled when our lips stuck to the white, extra-frozen parts.  It was just fun, standing there, eating desert before dinner.  We are such rebels.

It is moments like this one that bring a smile to my face for weeks.  And I am thankful that my dad teaches me life lessons almost every day - without even realizing it.  Today, it was a lesson about what life is really all about:  Enjoying it!  Spend time with people that you love and people that make you smile.  Do things that make you happy.  Eat dessert first.  Make memories.

My dad and I - just a few years back.

No comments:

Post a Comment